MEMS Sensor Input Device

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
barefoot101

MEMS Sensor Input Device

Post by barefoot101 »

I have a Micro-controller + MEMS (accelerometer, gyro and compass) device, which I would like to connect to GIMX. Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to write a configuration file for my device? I am an experienced LINUX programmer.

I see the device working in the following way. If a user turns their head, a micro-controller attached to the MEMS sensor records the movement and sends the movement to the GIMX to emulate the right stick i.e Look left, right, up or down. I would like the game pad to remain active, but take priority over the MEMS sensor. i.e When the right stick and the sensor are moved at the same time, only the movement of the right stick is used.

I have done something similar (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAFVJS ... cd9k6bfig) by directly connecting a MEMS sensor to a gamepad, however I think that using GIMX, if I can get it working, would be a better solution.

Cheers
Matlo

Re: MEMS Sensor Input Device

Post by Matlo »

Hi,
The easiest way is to program your device as a USB HID device (for example a joystick).
GIMX creator
barefoot101

Re: MEMS Sensor Input Device

Post by barefoot101 »

Hi,
Yes, you are right! I can use a micro like the STM32Fx with it's USB HID Device library to convert my device into a gamepad device. This will allow me to implement 16 buttons and 2 joysticks, as far as I understand. When this has been done how do I hook it up to GIMX? via a configuration file?
Cheers