Raspberry Pi powered by PS4 usb port

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
cortega1

Raspberry Pi powered by PS4 usb port

Post by cortega1 »

I have an older Raspberry Pi model B with a 700mhz single core, 256mb ram and 2 usb ports. I am able to connect my RPi B to my PS4 using only one usb port on the PS4. I use a hub that has one port going to power on the RPi and the other to communicate through the DIY adapter. They type of hub doe seem to matter though. There are two hubs in my setup (both non-powered). One seems to work fine on the PS4 usb port end to power and communicate with the RPi, but the other USB hub I am using will not work for this task. This other hub works for connecting the DS4 and GIMX DIY adapter to the RPi though.

The one that doesn't work on the PS4 end is a cheap usb hub that has each usb female end coming from its own cable as well as a cable for micro usb and a another cable for 30 pin apple stuff. The one that is currently working on the PS4 end is an old usb 1.0 hub.

I am using the automated Raspbian image provided by Waveform ( :arrow: http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1435). The automated image allows me to power up my PS4, wait for about 45 seconds, and use the G27 to do everything I need on the PS4. This setup also lets me run the RPi without using a monitor and not having to run a GUI.

I made a video if you'd like to check it out. I apologize for my horrendous driving in it. My excuse is... performance anxiety due to the presence of the camera... Yeah, that's it... :roll: ( :arrow: https://youtu.be/HjVOQaFLNDU)

I am able to run directly from the PS4 usb port for power since this earlier RPi models do not require much power to run. I am using a CUH-1200 model PS4. Since the PS4 is using usb 3, it should put out 900ma @ 5v, which is 300ma lower then the recommended power supply output for my model RPi, but 400ma higher then the boards power usage according to https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/ in the "I. POWER" section. According to the first chart in the power section on this page, RPi model A, A+, and B models should work fine directly from a USB port. The second chart in this section seems to suggest that the RPi zero will also work fine powered from the PS4. I'm not sure about B+ and B2 models because the first power section on the page mentions that they both use 600ma/1200ma switchable, but the next power section does give the B+ hope. I don't know because I don't have either, but I suspect that neither the RPi B2 or B3 models will work with GIMX powered by a PS4 USB port.

It was asked in the post about the automated image, but just to mention, I have not had an issue running the wheel past 8 minutes. I have run several test of the setup for 2+ hours at a time with no issues.

Thanks to Waveform for the automated Raspbian image, and Matlo for the GIMX project.
Last edited by cortega1 on Wed May 04, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matlo

Re: Raspberry Pi powered by PS4 usb port

Post by Matlo »

Thanks for sharing! I enjoy seeing how people use GIMX :)
GIMX creator
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

Matlo wrote:Thanks for sharing! I enjoy seeing how people use GIMX :)
Thanks Matlo!! I actually ended up getting a T300 a couple of weeks ago, but the GIMX project is so interesting to me that I still have my G27 so I can play around with my GIMX setup. At first I was just looking for a way to use my g27 with the PS4 when I came across the GIMX DIY adapter. I'm glad I found out about it before I tried any of the other (so called) "solutions" I thought I had found. I like things that let me tinker :P , especially when they work as good as this does.
Cybereu

Post by Cybereu »

You can use ssh on your smartphone to control raspberry, then you doesnt need monitor too.
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

Cybereu wrote:You can use ssh on your smartphone to control raspberry, then you doesn't need monitor too.
I had originally thought about SSH via my smartphone, but I don't want anything running other then the GIMX program if possible. With only a single core 700mhz cpu and 256mb of ram on the RPi I'm using, I would like to keep as many of its resources open for the GIMX program to use.