Dualshock 4 emulation questions

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
bread

Dualshock 4 emulation questions

Post by bread »

I want to build my own custom PS4 Bluetooth controller, and GIMX seems like the right (only?) software out there to use for this. The wiki is a bit confusing about what hardware I will actually need, though.

It looks like the base hardware needed, besides an authentic Dualshock 4 controller for authentication, is:

1. Host computer running Linux.

Sounds like any Raspberry Pi should be sufficient for this, and then I'll have some GPIO to build the actual controller on top of. Great.

2. Bluetooth chipset/dongle.

Can the bluetooth built into the Raspberry Pi 3 or the Raspberry Pi Zero W be used for this? (It's a Cypress CYW43438 chipset, apparently.) The bluetooth compatibility page on the wiki suggests that I need something that can permanently change its bluetooth address or it won't work stably. I don't know if this is true for PS4 controller emulation or only for PS3 controller emulation; I also don't know if the Raspberry Pi built-in bluetooth chipset has this capability.

3. USB pairing device.

I am not at all clear on whether I need the full DIY USB cable that has build instructions on the wiki, or if I can just buy a Teensy, or if I can maybe just directly use the RPi? I think the RPi3 can only function as a USB host, so it can't do this itself.... but maybe to RPi0W can?

If I can just have a Raspberry Pi Zero W do all three parts, that would obviously be neat. Any advice?
Matlo

Re: Dualshock 4 emulation questions

Post by Matlo »

Hi,
It may be possible to use the RPi0W bluetooth, but this is untested.
Theoretically the RPi0W USB OTG interface could be used for the pairing.
GIMX creator