PS3 Safe Mode support?

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
gott_sei_dank

PS3 Safe Mode support?

Post by gott_sei_dank »

I decided to try and get myself an ebay bargain price PS3 and as with all best made plans things haven't worked out as simply as i had hoped :oops:
The console I brought had a RSOD and going by the description given I think that all that is wrong with it was some bad sectors on the hard drive which I hope to have at least temporarily fixed with the PC.

Apparantily there is a good reason why second-hand consoles don't come with the SIXAXIS or DS3 controllers, they are ridiculously expensive :shock:
There was no way I was going pay half of what I paid for the console on a single control pad so I settled for a cheap third-party wired control pad which had some decent reviews. The main reason for me getting a PS3 was so I could import Rocksmith so the control pad would only be used to navigate menus.

The issue I have is now I'm faced with connect controller with USB and press the PS button screen (I'm aware about GIMX not supporting the PS button).My wired third-party control pad doesn't work :(

I thought I'd ask the main man Matlo or anyone else that might know if Sony are using bluetooth over USB as a simple authentication mechanism, I've since found out that Sony removed third-party support for some devices in a previous firmware version, some reports I've read suggest that most third party controllers work fine in XMB but are disabled in Safe Mode. If hypothetically GIMX supported the PS button would it work in Safe Mode.

Thanks !
Coldfusionstorm

Re: PS3 Safe Mode support?

Post by Coldfusionstorm »

I have the same problem, Im unable to pass the "plug in usb and controller and press PS button".

And i tought the GimX did support the PS button?, the option for the button is there i know.? ALso do i need a controller to pair my PS3 with GIMX?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The PS button is only supported over bluetooth.

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Compatibility
GIMX creator
Coldfusionstorm

(i do have bluetooth, but where do i get the PS3 and six axis number? )i also have another post where i expained my issue in more detail.

(off topic link:)
http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11 ... 4537#p4537
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

As said on the wiki, the pairing is only performed over USB.
You need a sixaxis, or a teensy board to perform a custom pairing.
GIMX creator
Coldfusionstorm

Thanks. i will try to figure out

2 questions

When you talk about a sixaxis then you are talking about the PS3 original controller right?.

I found guide that claims that you can pair without a USB cable with a original controller link below.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7740216_connect ... r-usb.html

So basically i use a custom USB adapter(the DIY guide on the wiki). Pair it to the firmware/application - playstation3 in the guide.

THen i start gimx bluetooh and use the BT adress from the serial/usb application and enter into this gimx bluetooth application.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixaxis

2. Your "guide" doesn't claim that. It just tells you how to power a sixaxis on (there no need for a guide to do that).

3. Just buy a sixaxis. GIMX doesn't support the safe mode.
GIMX creator
Coldfusionstorm

Firstly, Thanks i will order a six-axis.

secondly, So.... The article is only about connecting a controller not sycning it to a ps3? (is this correct understood).

Thirdly and again thanks for the great job you are doing hopefull some day we can get a safemode compatible mode ;).
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Make sure to buy a genuine one, there are plenty of fake sixaxis controllers (mostly on ebay).

I don't know what you mean by "syncing".

Bluetooth pairing is explained in the FAQ.
GIMX creator