Which mouse? A worldshaking question

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
shizzle_slick

Which mouse? A worldshaking question

Post by shizzle_slick »

OK, I tested the GIMX and I am excited :-)
I am using an old Speedlink Styx .... for MMORPGs it was and still is fine. But now I would like dive into FPS on a PS3. Unfortunately my mouse
only has up to 2200dpi and a fix polling rate of 125hz :(
To cut a long story short, I would like to know if it is recommeded to use a mouse with 5700dpi and 500hz or if a "smaller" one is fine too, like something between 3600 and 4800dpi and 250hz up to 500hz.

To be honest .... I don`t wanna spend 100 bucks for a "mouse".

Thanks in advance,
ShizzleSlick
Matlo

Re: Which mouse? A worldshaking question

Post by Matlo »

A first step is to increase the polling rate of your current mouse to 250Hz. Read this wiki page.

A high DPI mouse is only useful if your game has acceleration, and if you want to cancel it with a GIMX acceleration value around 0.50.
GIMX creator
shizzle_slick

Post by shizzle_slick »

Hi Matlo,

Thanks for the hint, I read it already, but as far as I understood will this only works if the device (mouse) supports the polling rates by hardware.
I searched the web and the hardware specs of my mouse shows a "fix" rate of 125hz and not more, so it is an office mouse in disguise :evil: .
Or am I wrong and I would be able to override these settings? I guess not :(

Cheers,
ShizzleSlick
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

You can override the polling rate. I already tested with a cheap 800 DPI mouse, and it worked.
GIMX creator
shizzle_slick

Post by shizzle_slick »

That are fantastic news :) !
I will test it when I am back at home, thanks a lot.

Just a short question, I read the FAQs and the tutorial, maybe not carefully enough, are there any proposals where to start configuring/testing a new game (like Borderlands)?
I just copied the configuration of CoD and played a little bit with the settings. But I guess it could be smoother :).

ShizzleSlick
shizzle_slick

Post by shizzle_slick »

I set the mouse polling rate to 500hz (/sys/modules/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll -> 2), then I compiled evhz.c to check the polling rate .... it shows 250Hz ... that means polling rate factor 4 won`t it?
Anyway, I will check now if there are any new "behaviors" :)

Cheers,
ShizzleSlick