Guard might get nervous, man approaches with his weapon drawn.

Introduce yourself to the forum before attempting to post elsewhere
dovahkiin1337

Guard might get nervous, man approaches with his weapon drawn.

Post by dovahkiin1337 »

Hey there, my name is [[REDACTED]. Nice to meet you. I look forward to using GIMX (eventually, I'm having problems right now that I'll explain later) because I am just getting into PC gaming, but I have 2 problems. One, the two "computers" I have are a HP Pavilion g7 from 2011, and a Raspberry Pi 3B. Not sure which is more powerful. The only Steam games I play are Skyrim, Warframe, and Fallout New Vegas. I also have Fallout 3, but I'm too burnt out on Fallout in general so I had to shelve that one for a while. However, I have been playing on PS3 for 2 years now, and I have over 300 hours into Blops 2, ~200 hours into Battlefield 4, and 3000+ hours into Destiny (I know, it stole my soul). I can't give you an exact number for Destiny because ******* Bungie dropped stats support for last gen consoles, as if that makes a difference in overall performance. Anyhoo, since Destiny 2 isn't coming out on PC till 8 September 2017, I want to relive my glory days on Destiny with a few pals on PS3.

But, like the proverbial Murphy's Law, I have been bedeviled by problems getting GIMX to work (most of them my fault).
First, I watched a highly uneducational video on Youtube (won't name names, he tried) to set up GIMX on Ubuntu.
Then, I tried to boot from USB on my WIndows 10 Pavilion g7, but ******* Microsoft does their best to prevent you from using ANY other OS on a WIndows computer, to the extent that I had to force shutdown to get to BIOS. Are you ******* serious.
I finally booted Ubuntu, only to find that the Youtube video had links that were far out of date.
Then I had to wrestle with a glitchy, uncooperative Software Center, and I finally decided to use gdebi.
Install GIMX 6.5, only to find that my laptop has no bluetooth. My bad.
Order a dongle on Amazon, and decide to use my Pi, which DOES have BT.
Use Pi, download etc. works beautifully... until I press start on the GIMX launcher. Following error message appears.
"Warning; can't open macro directory /home/pi//.gimx//macros/"
FUCK
Get BT dongle
Try GIMX on Ubuntu
"Warning; can't open macro directory /home/ubuntu//.gimx//macros/"
<Sailoresque Rant ~10 minutes long>

So, in conclusion, after 5 days of roughly 2 hours a day into getting GIMX, I'm practically back at step one. Yes, I have contacted Matlo in regards to this matter, but I didn't see this subforum so my bad. I do love the work the creators put in to something as awesome as GIMX, because I want to pub stomp with a keyboard and mouse while I'm playing on PS3. While I do wish the overall installation/download/use was a little more user friendly, I understand the difficulties of working with many OS and languages to get this whole boondoggle to work. Thus, since it works for 99% of users right out of the VirtualBox, thank you. Hopefully my situation can get resolved and until then, enjoy your game.
Matlo

Re: Guard might get nervous, man approaches with his weapon drawn.

Post by Matlo »

Welcome :)
GIMX creator