GIMX as Xbox360 controller

Talk About Anything XBOX here
zwierzak

GIMX as Xbox360 controller

Post by zwierzak »

Is it possibility to control Xbox360 using this software? Or for now it is only for PS3?
McKack

Re: GIMX as Xbox360 controller

Post by McKack »

There's no native support for Xbox 360 yet.
But in the meantime, this might work: http://xcm.cc/xcm_cross_fire_converter.htm

Here's the very non-informative reply I got when I tried to find out if third party controllers would work with the adapter (basically what the USB PC to PS3 adapter emulates if I'm not mistaken):
Hello

The cross fire converter works with the official controller ,the 3rd party
one may not work

Regards

Team XCM
Haven't gotten to test it out though since those adapters are hella expensive here in Norway.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I'm thinking to design something based on a teensy 2.0 and this adapter : link.

PC<--usb-->teensy<--ps2 interface-->adapter<--usb-->Xbox360/PS3

I hope the adapter runs at 125Hz (as the 360 controller) with low latency, but I'm not sure to get that for such a low price.

I ordered one, I will test that ASAP. I'm quite busy with the v0.24 stuff (it's almost finished).
GIMX creator
zwierzak

Post by zwierzak »

To much complicated! This means that we need to find out X0 Controller protocol and then GIMX would work.
McKack

Post by McKack »

Matlo wrote:I'm thinking to design something based on a teensy 2.0 and this adapter : link.
I'ma just order one right away too. I've been wanting one anyways to get a proper d-pad, using my PS2 controller, on the 360 for arcade games. Two birds, one stone. And you'll have another early stages guinea pig [me] if you need one too, Matlo :)
Matlo wrote:I'm quite busy with the v0.24 stuff (it's almost finished).
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Zero

Post by Zero »

Matlo wrote:I'm thinking to design something based on a teensy 2.0 and this adapter : link.

PC<--usb-->teensy<--ps2 interface-->adapter<--usb-->Xbox360/PS3

I hope the adapter runs at 125Hz (as the 360 controller) with low latency, but I'm not sure to get that for such a low price.

I ordered one, I will test that ASAP. I'm quite busy with the v0.24 stuff (it's almost finished).
I think it needs a 360 wired controller plunged in at first. Until some validation is passed. I've seen this things before. Like early version of xim.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Yes, it works as a proxy, as all xbox360 mouse+keyboard adapters work.
GIMX creator
Pabreetzio

Post by Pabreetzio »

Love the ideas here guys. I'm going to get the 360 working soon, hopefully this week. It's the only part left before I have a working version of my project, so all of my efforts over the next few days will be focused on it.

What I have right now is two Teensy boards, ground to ground, RX to TX. Ideally I'll be able to figure out the 360 controller handshaking and do it from my computer without any Xbox controller needed. I have several fallback levels though. Next best thing would be if I could plug the 360 controller in to the laptop to initiate the handshaking and then have the laptop work with the 360 from then on, as you mentioned earlier. Next fallback is to use the cheap converter cable, nearly positive that will work. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it turns out. Funny thing is I had already decided on all of this before I even found this project, so its good to see everyone is on the same page.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

There's a security chip inside 360 controllers.

All unofficial 360 third-party adapters require a genuine 360 controller to work.
GIMX creator
Pabreetzio

Post by Pabreetzio »

Matlo, can you pass along a bit more of what you know about Xbox 360 security to me? Do you know of any links that describe it? Can you tell me how you learned it had a security chip? My thought was it was just a complex handshake ritual that could be matched with a bit of USB sniffing. If it needs a particular chip what chip is it, where do 3rd parties get it? I've heard of 3rd parties making unauthorized controllers before, such as Datel's Wildfire, http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/0 ... llers.html which they got to work fine. I'll be searching for more information myself, so maybe I'll be able to answer my own questions.