GIMX as Xbox360 controller

Talk About Anything XBOX here
Matlo

Re: GIMX as Xbox360 controller

Post by Matlo »

It's not very easy to hack this security chip: link.

The easiest way to go is to use a genuine 360 controller for the authentication.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Matlo wrote:I'm thinking to design something based on a teensy 2.0 and this adapter : link.

PC<--usb-->teensy<--ps2 interface-->adapter<--usb-->Xbox360/PS3

I hope the adapter runs at 125Hz (as the 360 controller) with low latency, but I'm not sure to get that for such a low price.
I was doing a bit of searching trying to find something similar to GIMX but for the PS2 (it appears my DualShock is broken so I won't be getting any use of the PS2 to Xbox 360 adapter anytime soon) and I stumbled upon this, reminding me of what you said above:
http://procrastineering.blogspot.com/20 ... r-for.html

Especially where he says
The nice thing about the PS2 controller is that it is a relatively simple communication protocol, and due to its vast popularity you can find low-cost adapters to use it with a PS3 or Xbox 360.
I should have realized earlier from the the "<--ps2 interface-->" but this basically means PS2 support as well, right? :) I have tons of FPS games for the PS2 that would be very interesting to play using mouse and keyboard so I'm extra excited now and looking forward till this plan goes into motion! No pressure of course ;)
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
McKack

Post by McKack »

OK, so I received the adapter today (shoddy webcam picture from my laptop, sorry) and decided to give the Xbox 360 to PS3 functionality a go.
I expected the adapter to emulate a simple third party controller, but to my surprise it seems it's emulating a "genuine" wired PS3 controller somehow. Because not only does the triggers work in games (like Resistance 3) that haven't worked before with the DIY USB adapter and other third party USB controllers that I've tried, but the PS button works (pressing the Xbox Guide button on the 360 controller) as well!
I'm not quite sure how, but I'm guessing this is good news for the future of the DIY USB adapter, using this new adapter in conjunction with it, adding both Xbox 360 support and better PS3 compatibility.

Have you received yours yet, Matlo? I'm very excited about what you probably can do with this thing :)
Attachments
Bilde_001[1].jpg
Bilde_001[1].jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 14690 times
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Yes I also received mine a week ago, but as I am busy with v0.24, I only tested it, opened it, and dropped it on my desk near a teensy 2.0 that can't wait to be wired on it :)

The project you are talking about in your previous post is what I am intending to use ;)

It should be quite straightforward to use, as it behaves as a serial to spi converter. GIMX already uses serial interfaces. The only thing to do is to write axis and button statuses in the right format/order.
GIMX creator
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

It's working :)

Nothing fancy, I just soldered as shown in this picture from procrastineering.blogspot.com:

And I modified GIMX to send the stick & button statuses in the right format.

The controller update frequency is only 62.5Hz :(

I will test the latency latter, to see what are the max & average values. The max latency should be at least 1000/62.5=16ms, which is not really good compared to what the original GIMX usb adapter can do.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

None the less, incredible news, and that was quick!
It's working on both the Xbox 360 (with wired controller connected for authorization) and PS3? By just flipping the switch like you normally would?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Yes, that was very quick. Johnny Chung Lee did an excellent job, its firmware for the teensy works out of the box.

A limitation of the teensy firmware is that all buttons (esp triggers) are not analog (i.e. the value is 0=off or 1=on).
The adapter itself may also have this limitation.

I didn't tested with the 360 yet, but I guess it will work as I already tested the adapter with a genuine 360 controller on my 360.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Matlo wrote:A limitation of the teensy firmware is that all buttons (esp triggers) are not analog (i.e. the value is 0=off or 1=on).
The adapter itself may also have this limitation.
Actually, I played Resistance 3 (where digital triggers would not be recognized before) with Dualshock gamepads (tried both the PSX and PS2 variant) and the triggers worked as expected. So sending a 1/0 value to the adapter doesn't seem to be a problem. It's almost as if it emulates the output of an analog trigger being depressed by going through 0 to 127 in a very quick burst upon pressing the digital R2 of the Dualshock for example, then 127 to 0 upon releasing.
Just a logistical theory of mine, which may be 100% incorrect :)

P.S.
I've got a bunch of cut up PS2 controller cables/connectors and an unused Teensy.
In other words, I can make one of these if you would like me to test anything out, instead of soldering it directly to the adapter:
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

McKack wrote:Actually, I played Resistance 3 (where digital triggers would not be recognized before) with Dualshock gamepads (tried both the PSX and PS2 variant) and the triggers worked as expected. So sending a 1/0 value to the adapter doesn't seem to be a problem. It's almost as if it emulates the output of an analog trigger being depressed by going through 0 to 127 in a very quick burst upon pressing the digital R2 of the Dualshock for example, then 127 to 0 upon releasing.
Just a logistical theory of mine, which may be 100% incorrect :)
True. With this adapter, button analog values also have two states: pressed = 255 (not 127), released = 0. But some games require a finer control.
McKack wrote: In other words, I can make one of these if you would like me to test anything out, instead of soldering it directly to the adapter:
The box is easy to open, and there is enough space left inside for a teensy :)
I'm using kynar wire for the connections, it's very easy to solder.
But yes, if you are more confident soldering the teensy on a ps2 connector, you should definitely go that way!
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Yup, I need to get me a spindle of wire like that, so far I've only been using leftover wire from headphones and other tech junk :) I'll try soldering the Teensy to a PS2 connector later today.

Update:
And I'm good to go :)