GIMX as Xbox360 controller

Talk About Anything XBOX here
Matlo

Re: GIMX as Xbox360 controller

Post by Matlo »

I'm not really satisfied by the frequency.
I think it's better to directly emulate a sixaxis or 360 pad through a teensy instead of using a third-party adapter that will limit the controller abilities.
And this adapter is not firmware upgradable (Sony or Microsoft may find a way to block this non-genuine controller).

Last evening I have started working on issue 99. I managed to emulate a true sixaxis over usb :D

I will do the same with the 360, and bypass the controller authentication using a genuine 360 controller wired to the PC...
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Understood, and no harm, the adapter in itself was a good purchase :)

If it's not much of a bother; do you still have the source for the modified GIMX that did work with the adapter, though? I'd love to toy around with whatever result you came up with, if it's just a matter of compiling it in Ubuntu, then plug 'n' play.
Matlo wrote:Last evening I have started working on issue 99. I managed to emulate a true sixaxis over usb
Very, very, cool!
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

McKack wrote: If it's not much of a bother; do you still have the source for the modified GIMX that did work with the adapter, though? I'd love to toy around with whatever result you came up with, if it's just a matter of compiling it in Ubuntu, then plug 'n' play.
Yes, of course I still have the source. I'm still planning to make some test binaries, but there will be no support for this.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Great!
Matlo wrote:but there will be no support for this.
No problem. Only for testing purposes so I totally understand.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
McKack

Post by McKack »

Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I expected at least 16x2=32ms worst case, and 8x2=16ms average (GIMX polling period + converter polling period).

The result is a little worst: 40ms worst case and 23ms average.

Note that GIMX can't poll faster than the converter.
A better ps2 to 360 converter running at 125Hz could help improving the latency.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Is there a way I could help figuring out latency if I were to buy more converters? I'm going to order another one like the one we're using now, but considering testing out a few others too.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I read on a few webpages that dualshock 1/2 controllers can't be polled faster than 62.5Hz (=16ms period).

This makes me believe it's not possible to find better ps2 to 360 adapters.
GIMX creator
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Good news for 360 users: http://blog.gimx.fr/?p=437

As a consequence, I've dropped the weak PS2 to 360 converter.
GIMX creator
McKack

Post by McKack »

Awesome news for the GIMX project and Xbox 360 users :)

By the way, do you know if a headset connected to the Xbox 360 controller used for the spoofing will work as usual with this method?
This seems to be a feature lacking from most of the commercial adapters - a sacrifice one has to make.

Either way, very nice. Looking forward to try it out!