USB Sniffer

Talk about anything concerning the source code.
aaamod

USB Sniffer

Post by aaamod »

Hi All!

Ive been having a look at the Beagleboard Xm USB packet sniffer that matlo had kindly shared a while back.
I had previously tried to implement something similar on my own, but was unable to due to lack of technical skills at the time.
I plan on using what was provided, but was just wondering if anyone would be able to explain to me how exactly the sniffer works just so I would have a better understanding of the system. Where in the code would be the best place to look?

Cheers, aaamod
Matlo

Re: USB Sniffer

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

Did you read the instructions at https://github.com/matlo/bb_usb_sniffer ?
GIMX creator
aaamod

Post by aaamod »

Hi Matlo,

I've have gone through the instructions and understand how to set up the sniffer.
I guess what i really meant to ask was involving how the proxy driver worked exactly, as in, how does it work transparently between the two communicating devices, and how it is able to mimic the vendor/product IDs of the connected USB's.

Thanks
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Most of the work is done by a proxy driver (g_proxy) written by Nicolas Boichat.
The g_proxy module is loaded by the sniff script.
The source code is here.
GIMX creator
bbo2

Post by bbo2 »

Hi Matlo,

Sorry about the post here but I am looking to use this sniffer for another project. Outside the gaming community. Any chance you could help. Again I am sorry to post here. But tried all other sources to contact you and finding it very hard :-( Please can you PM me? I am not authorised. Thanks
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hi,
It is required to post once to send PMs.
GIMX creator