PS4 - ForceFeedback Seat/G-Seat - Possible?

Talk about anything concerning the source code.
lostkiwi

PS4 - ForceFeedback Seat/G-Seat - Possible?

Post by lostkiwi »

Hi All,

I have been looking through the code and although I cant find it yet - is data available for G-force/acceleration from the PS4 for games?
I mean G force in the 3 axis (x,y,z). This is not data sent to the PS4 but data received. I can only find rumble (left/right,low/high). I anticipate that only specific games would be supported.

Maybe this is available by spoofing a different PS4 controller? If so then I would need to also find the USB report descriptors or a lot of sniffs, etc.

Why?
Ok, I would like to build a force feedback seat similar to what flight simulators use for faking acceleration in different axis. I.e. if the car is cornering left then there is a force acting on your left side from the seat. This can be accomplished using moving panels in a seat where you left side is forced inwards. Same for right, etc. Up force is done by adjusting set belt tension (over shoulder Y belt like a car racing seat), etc.

Example seat here (commercial product):
https://www.acme-worldwide.com/products ... -overview/

Another example - Look for G-Seat (DIY - home built):
http://www.brass-em.com/portal/

So, I can get this data from PC games using x-SIM (https://x-sim.de/forum/portal.php). It would be great to also be able to interface the seat to the PS4 or XBOX. I.e. the data from gimx could be sent to X-SIM (for G-Force calculations) via TCP packets and motion data subsequently sent via USB to the motion controllers.

I am currently building a motion seat for a flight simulator (DCS World). G-Force data is received via TCP packets from the game (via LUA scripts). I am using 100mm linear actuators with positional feedback running through a 32bit STM32 micro as a motion position controller.

The micro controller provides the PID routines and accurate positioning for the linear actuators. Actuators for Seat side left and right, Belt tension, seat base left and right (5 axis of control). Interface is via USB (Serial emulator) and basically sends position data for the actuators. The amount of movement for each axis is calculated from the G-Force outputs and is controlled by the X-SIM software.

Can anyone help? Even if this is a no response then great. At least I can stop looking.

Thanks heaps!
lostkiwi

Re: PS4 - ForceFeedback Seat/G-Seat - Possible?

Post by lostkiwi »

Hi All,

So having another look around, it appears as though there are a few G-Force parameters that are available. This is according to the Logitech_Force_Feedback_Protocol_V1.5.pdf

From my reading it appears as though it is possible to obtain a type of G-force in the wheel and pedal dimensions? Up/Down doesnt seem to be available????

It is definitely not as easy as just using G-Force directly as it sends a command similar to "Set x force in a specific force control zone". This makes a lot of sense for steering wheels but not so much for a seat. If I translate steering force directly into left/right then this provides for at least some feedback (maybe). Basically it provides measurements for a specific feedback zone - I.e. take the G-Force and use this to apply a calculated force to a zone. It is not a true G-Force measurement in itself but a value after the game software has done its thing. Most controllers are pretty dumb and cant do the calculations themselves so the PS4 translates this (does the heavy calculations).

Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

Thanks heaps.
Matlo

Re: PS4 - ForceFeedback Seat/G-Seat - Possible?

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

You are limited to the forces that PS4 supported device use. For example when emulating a G29 wheel you won't get anything else than ffb wheel effects.
GIMX creator