Questions about gimx and macros

Talk about anything concerning the source code.
trigger

Questions about gimx and macros

Post by trigger »

Hi

I found out about GIMX a few days ago ; I immediatly loved the project, and was thinking about using it for one of my own : creating a combo editor/player for fighting games (street fighter & co), aimed at video makers (either helping them experimentating before manually executing it, or recording a fully automated combo).

Now, I managed to get a working bluetooth dongle, and started browsing the source code, but I still have a few concerns. Fighting games run at 60fps, so to stay in a best case scenario, I need to be able to send input events every ~16.667ms.
My questions are :

- DEFAULT_DELAY in macros : right now, there seems to be a minimum delay between a keydown and a keyup event of 50ms (though it doesn't seem to be enforced if you send the 2 events separately). Is it some arbitrary value, or is there some kind of limitation or reasoning behind it ? Would it be possible to send a keydown event, then a keyup event the next frame (16.667ms later) and still be reliable (i.e. the PS3 will register the input everytime) ?

- refresh in emuclient : it is 10ms by default. Theoretically, it should guarantee that i get a refresh every frame. But is it possible to get it lower to have some kind of "safe margin" ?
I guess it can't go lower than the time it takes the cpu to complete one iteration of the main loop, but do you know how low it can get reasonably ?

- just to be sure : with macro, if I define 2 KEYDOWN event on 2 successive lines (without DELAY between them), they will be simultaneous ?

I'm still not sure whether I'll use your emuclient & macros, or if I'll rewrite my own simpler client that suits my needs, but your answers would greatly help me about the feasibility of my projet :)

Thanks in advance
Matlo

Re: Questions about gimx and macros

Post by Matlo »

Sorry for the late reply...

DEFAULT_DELAY is an arbitrary value that correspond to the minimum delay for COD games to not miss an event.
If the game you're playing can register events faster, you can use the KEYDOWN/DELAY/KEYUP command sequence with a lower delay.

It's not possible to use a lower refresh period than 10ms with gimx-bluetooth. I remember having tested lower values, it resulted in control issues...

2 KEYDOWN on successive lines are executed simultaneously.
GIMX creator