[LIST] Bluetooth dongles

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
MaxiM

Re: [LIST] Bluetooth dongles

Post by MaxiM »

Weird, it's a totally different dongle than the one I bought. Mine looks like that:

As you can see, even the packaging is slightly different than the one I posted (haven't noticed it at first). There are also different specifications on the packaging, making the right one easy to recognise (* Chipset: CSR). Also, the plastic casing is a little transparent because there is a red light blinking when BT is active. The one on their page doesn't seem to have that functionality. I have no idea it that's the newer model or what...

EDIT: Did a little research and it looks like the one on their page is indeed the newer model, which is a shame, because it looks like the old one was better, but it can be still in circulation in many stores. The store I bought mine in had quite a bit of them. The photo should be a good enough reference if anybody finds one. I found many other identically shaped brands with the same chipset though, so it looks like they all came from the same factory - including some no-names and Esperansa.

The big advantage of this dongle is that it works as it should for barely $4 :D
deathhorse

Post by deathhorse »

I bought this and it does not work

Super Mini Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter Dongle (CSR Bluecore4-rom) its from your list.

Information shows up but you get the KO error when you hit set address. Tried to do it in command line (terminal) as well and it still didnt work.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

What Manufacturer & Chip version are displayed in gimx-bluetooth?
GIMX creator
deathhorse

Post by deathhorse »

theres no rom information but i got another one from your list so i will try that the new one when it gets here. I can also confirm that another one igot on ebay doesnt work but lets me change and immediately after says KO address error.

the new one i have is

manu: cambridge silicon radio (10)
chip version BlueCore1a
paid $1.50 on ebay

i will wait for the new one from deal extreme an let u know.
DieTotheRhythm

Post by DieTotheRhythm »

Hi everyone. Just recently discovered this site after having a discussion with a friend about how much I prefer FPS games on mouse+keyboard than a controller and came across here thanks to google. Anywho I have 2 devices to report the results on.

First is an HP bluetooth usb dongle
Model:SDCAB-0705
(Broadcom coporation 15)
The BDR changed just fine and would revert to original after restart, but the connection would either drop every 10 to 15 seconds of use, or in some rare cases, it would stay connected and work great but every few minutes, there would be a good 1-2 abrupt seconds of lag before a response was shown. I got this adapter from work and can probably say it's not the best of quality D:

Second is a SMK-Link nano bluetooth usb dongle
Model:VP6493
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
Chip Version BlueCore4-ROM

Adapter only cost me $22 from a local electronics store and works great. Just went to the store and picked at random (lol!) and this one happened to be a winner. No connection drops or lag. (just need to finish tweaking it for call of duty) Please note that the BDR does not revert back to original after changing but other than that I would strongly suggest picking one of these up.

Anywho, just registered to share my findings and I really appreciate the work done here! keep it up!

EDIT: booted up in ubuntu to post more accurate info on the SMK-Link
Last edited by DieTotheRhythm on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Thanks for the feedback, I updated the list.

Where did you bought the SMK-LINK dongle? In which country?
GIMX creator
DieTotheRhythm

Post by DieTotheRhythm »

I bought the smk-link dongle from a store called "Fry's Electronics" that are becoming quite popular in the united states. Weird thing is that this specific dongle does not show on the website listing at Frys.com
oracle

Post by oracle »

Hello.

I found EMTEC dongle for about $5 in my country. Auction says that there is
CSR BC04 Chip.
Is
BC04 short for:
bluecore4-rom?

Or this is some other chip? Is it safe to buy?
http://allegro.pl/emtec-bluetooth-2-0-z ... 77338.html

I can archive image if this will be good dongle.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Sorry for the late reply.

The emtec dongle seems to be the same as this one.
There are high chances that it works.
Did you bought it?

There also is another dongle from emtec: link.
It should also work, the only difference from the other one is the power class (class II vs class I).
GIMX creator
mahmoud

Post by mahmoud »

okay i went to darty and bought a 10 € bluetooth usb adaptateur IT works bt-10m
gimx says its bluecore 4, i was able to use the keyboard and mouse flawlessly in killzone 2, except that aiming in killzone 2 is very bad, it's not reactive at all with a mouse like that cod blops test video
i've read in these forums that kz2 is hard to setup with mouse, that it's better with kz3
but it worked
also i need to get a higher dps mouse anyway, but i wanted to get a working bluetooth first