Getting started

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
Duhmerica

Getting started

Post by Duhmerica »

Just getting started and had one big question. Any pros and cons to Linux vs Windows or USB vs Bluetooth? Don't know which one to get.

If USB is any better I guess I have to build one. Is there any difference in methods to make one? Just wondering if there is a "best option" in the setup or if all ways perform equally.
laytonanthony

Re: Getting started

Post by laytonanthony »

bluetooth and usb both work fine. i personally use USB as i run windows as my own system. if you use windows id say gor for usb option other wise you will need to dual boot your system with linux 11.10.
if you go for the bluetooth option make sure the version of linux is 11.10 and not the latest 12.04 as you will get latency issues.
It cost me just £8.00 to build my adapter. a bluetooth dongle will cost you about the same if not more! atleast using USB you will not get any latency issues and no need for dual boot. the decision is yours lol
Duhmerica

Post by Duhmerica »

Hmm, I thought there would be some difference. I might just give all 3 ways a try anyway: Linux + bluetooth, Linux + USB, and Windows. Cost is not a concern of mine nor dual booting as Ubuntu is free and doesn't take up much space. I guess I won't be able to tell any difference, but always good to have options.

Thanks laytonanthony
laytonanthony

Post by laytonanthony »

again its just down to personal preference! remeber if your going down the linux route to use version 11.10 and not the latest 12.04 as there is latency issues with bluetooth. like a 4-5 second delay. im sure this will be fixed in the next update.
oh and remeber to donate :D
Donations help this project get better and better :D
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The latency with the usb adapter is lower than with bluetooth (~6ms vs ~12ms worst case latency).
GIMX creator
laytonanthony

Post by laytonanthony »

i didnt try the USB on the 12.04 only the bluetooth!
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

The lag in Ubuntu 12.04 is bluetooth-specific.
GIMX creator