Newbie questions

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
Spaznetz

Newbie questions

Post by Spaznetz »

I'm a complete newb in the GIMX world. I'm making the move to console gaming after being a PC gamer for more than 25 years (yeah, I'm a fossil but I ain't dead yet :D ) and I've got some questions:

1) I see many places where recommended mouse DPI>2000. Is there any benefit (or drawback) to a mouse with much higher sensitivity? The G500s goes up to 8200 DPI and I'm wondering if there is any real use for that high a number with GIMX or if it's just ridiculous overkill.

2) Is there a listing of Ubuntu compatible mice somewhere? In particular, I'm looking at the Logitech G100s, G400s, & G500s. (Or are pretty much any mice going to be okay with Ubuntu?)

3) I read in a post or a FAQ that true sixaxis emulation is only available using the Bluetooth setup. I'm playing Killzone 2 & 3 and was just wondering how the KB&M emulate the rotational movement of the sixaxis for placing charges and turning handwheels and the like?

4) I note that my favorite series (Far Cry) doesn't have a config listed for any of them. Is there a "baseline" configuration file somewhere? One that provides a starting point for building a more specific configuration?

Can't wait to get my BT dongle and start playing with GIMX. I'd rather support an open-source solution than give a dime to the guys charging $100+ for a gizmo/black-box (You know who they are!).
Matlo

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Matlo »

1) The theory says the higher the better. In practice the sensor quality and the tracking surface complicate the equation.

2) I had a few Logitech mice in the past (including the G5 and the G500), and they worked fine in Ubuntu.

3) Sixaxis emulation is also possible using a DIY USB adapter. There remain an issue with motion controls (gyro and acc z do not work).

4) There is a Far Cry config available through the gimx-bluetooth or gimx-serial (Help>Get Configs).
GIMX creator
Spaznetz

Post by Spaznetz »

Wow, thanks for the quick response and info.

Is there a workaround for the gyro issue? Would it work to keep a second controller handy and reassign it as needed?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Using a second controller is a workaround.
GIMX creator