Battlefield 3 deadzone

Post or request custom configuration files.
drfrink24

Battlefield 3 deadzone

Post by drfrink24 »

I've been reading the EA forums, it seems even sixaxis users are complaining about the deadzone. The issue they have is little or no movement, then it jumps and moves too much, which is exactly the issue I'm having now.

Now, I know this is a pitfall, but the "fix" people have been trying for sixaxis, is that they lower their in game sensitivity. I'm wondering what the effects would be if we lowered the in game sensitivity, and then bumped up the multipliers to offset?

Dunno if anyone else has ideas...
Matlo

Re: Battlefield 3 deadzone

Post by Matlo »

To make a console fps playable with a mouse we always try to counteract the dead zone, so it's not a problem to have a small dead zone.

Lowering the in-game sensitivity is a very bad idea, as it will lower the max turning speed.

I guess what people are complaining about is acceleration. You should try to use exponents near 0.50 to counteract the game acceleration.
GIMX creator
cldfusion

Post by cldfusion »

Yep, having the same problem. You could try lowering the in-game sense and bumping up the multipliers, but it's generally better to have a the highest in-game speed so you don't reach a turning cap. I haven't tried lowering the in-game sensitivity, but now I will to see if it smooths out the DZ a little, it could be in their heads though(lower speed would seem manageable), but hopefully they patch it anyway. Then it'd be almost perfect:)

Btw: do you have a link to the thread so i can complain too:)
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

GIMX creator
drfrink24

Post by drfrink24 »

I got the LDS to be much smoother, but it likely will be considered a "bad" config, but after trying all types of configs, going to extremes to see the effects, I seem to have a config that moves pretty good:

g400 @ 3600 dpi
1000 hz polling

config 1: dz 10 mp 25 exp .32 ratio 1.25
config 2: dz 10 mp 30 exp .30 ratio 1.25

deadzone doesn't seem to do much, unless you goto extremes in my setup. exp has the largest effect, it seems.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

1000Hz wastes CPU time and can generate glitches. I recommend you to use 500Hz instead.

Did you installed the latest BF3 patch?
GIMX creator
drfrink24

Post by drfrink24 »

Is there a new patch already (besides the day one release)?

I will drop the hz to 500, though at 1000mhz, it didn't seem to be causing any problems at all.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I don't have the game, but according to what I've read (link) there should be one, with hopefully big improvements for the aiming.
GIMX creator
drfrink24

Post by drfrink24 »

Matlo wrote:I don't have the game, but according to what I've read (link) there should be one, with hopefully big improvements for the aiming.
There was a server side patch for some lag issues last night, it seems. But I haven't gotten a notification for any new patches, will check tonite.

Matlo,

My results from lowering the exponent, and upping the multiplier... I haven't seen many recommended configurations that do this. Do you think it's buggy aim code that is causing the racheting aim at exponents in the .39 (or higher) range, or maybe something unique to my setup?

Also, what are the drawbacks to my current config, as it seems to be much better than the normalized parameters.

To explain exactly what I'm trying to overcome:

I call it a deadzone, but I maybe I'm using this terminology incorrectly. The mouse seems to get stuck for fine adjustments, which if I'm not perfectly on target, makes it difficult to re-adjust in small movements. To me, that means "deadzone" as my mouse feels dead/little movement.

In addition, the deadzone seems like it has no effect. I can't tell the difference between 10 and 30, though over 40 and things get weird.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Nobody posted the normalized parameters yet! I did some tests with the demo, but told it was really rough. I didn't post these parameters as a reference for this game because I knew the aiming could change in the final release...

The dead zone only relates to the following stick aiming mechanism: there is no movement until your stick goes past a stick position zone. This zone is called dead zone. To use a mouse as on PC we need to counteract this mechanism, because we want small mouse movements result in small screen movements.

See the Calibration tutorial.
GIMX creator