Non-linear Wheel Mapping

Post or request custom configuration files.
kkg_scorpio

Non-linear Wheel Mapping

Post by kkg_scorpio »

Hello Matlo,

I searched over the forum for solutions, and tried to tweak the config files, but I've been unable to achieve the following:

I'm using a Momo Racing Wheel which has a 270 degree range, trying to play Gran Turismo sport on the PS4 by emulating G29, which has a 900 degree range.

If I were to actually play with a G29, turning the wheel by 10-20 degrees would be a slight maneuver, which is necessary to keep the car in the correct line in long straights. However, with my Momo, even a very small movement in my wheel leads to large changes in the game, which makes it very hard to drive a straight line or position the wheel correctly for small bends.

As far as I can tell, there is no option to make the wheel input non-linear in Gran Turismo Sport, so I'm out of luck there. (some other games I played had this option)

So, if it doesn't exist in gimx, I would like to request a non-linear (probably exponential would do well here) mapping option from the actual wheel input to the transmitted output. Otherwise, can you please point me towards where I can change this setting?

Thanks a lot!
Matlo

Re: Non-linear Wheel Mapping

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

This is entirely possible with the current software: adjust the sensitivity and acceleration parameters for the wheel axis.
GIMX creator
kkg_scorpio

Post by kkg_scorpio »

Thanks Matlo,

In case it might help somebody, I found setting the wheel sensitivity to 0.000172 and Acceleration to 1.3 to be a great setting for converting Momo into G29 for Gran Turismo Sport.

It makes use of all the range -32768...32767 while making it easier to drive on straight lines or mild bends.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Something interesting is that you can use multiple profiles to change the sensitivity + acceleration on the fly.
This can easily be done using gimx-config: copy-paste profile 1 to another profile, and define a trigger in the "Overall>Profile trigger" panel. And you can use the same trigger for all profiles: pressing the trigger will activate the next profile, and when the last profile is reached it will go back to first profile.
GIMX creator