Some n00by questions about Sixaxis and Dongle?

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
McKack

Re: Some n00by questions about Sixaxis and Dongle?

Post by McKack »

That CP2102 serial converter yes, and the Teensy (with pins) from the official site.
I ordered from eBay, I live in Europe and it didn't take that long actually. The Teensy arrived in just little over a week, and the CP2102 a few days later - surprisingly fast considering it was shipped from Singapore in my case (which is where most of cheap tech stuff will ship from on eBay anyways. China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore etc.) And the same would probably be true for most European alternatives online.

And yeah if using the BT solution you can save the adr. you get off of a borrowed controller.

P.S.
Try to double post less. Just edit your latest post if there are no replies yet.
My Config Repository | PSN: McKack - Steam: McKack - XBL: Ozukaki | Config Post Template
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

vedranius wrote:Tell me, can I borrow a original PS3 controller from someone just to connect it to PC to read an adress, and then give it back to it, or I have to have the controller all the time with me?
Also, does ps3 controller has the additional dongle bluetooth for ps3 or it connects directly to the ps3's built-in bluetooth?
Ty!
You will have to use it with your ps3 first, power it off, plug it to your PC, open sixemugui, and click on File>Save. After that you won't need it anymore.
GIMX creator
vedranius

Post by vedranius »

Tnx guys for replies!
But tell me, why we can't enter any address which PS3 uses for connecting Bluetooth controller, into your's software Sixaxis Emu, and use that address on Bluetooth dongle?
I mean, why I need sixaxis's original address to read? If I can use the same address later, and before?
Or, for the first atempt of connecting, I must have to have a sixaxis controller firstly connected to PS3, so he can read the address and save it in, so I can emulate it with PC later?
Because the PC can't firstly connect with the address?
What I'm trying to say is, can I got only someone's address of Bluetooth PS3 controller, manually put it into sixaxis emulator to change Bluetooth Dongle address into that one, and power up PS3 to find it?
Is PS3 possible to find that address without firstly connecting sixaxis to PS3, or it can connect any address on that range of MAC addresses which PS3 controllers are?
Tnx! ;)
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Short answer: no, there's no other way to get the ps3 bdaddr.
GIMX creator
HIGH5

Post by HIGH5 »

@vedranius, borrow your friends dualshock, connect it -> get address -> save -> give it back to your friend.
Don't complicate yourself.
TACPILOT

Post by TACPILOT »

I too am puzzled by the need for an external controller to configure with,
if all that's needed is an address. From a coders perspective, wouldn't it be
easier on the end user to supply them a random number generator that
falls inside the allowable address range for the ps3 ? Heck for that matter,
since blue tooth has such a limited range, why not provide an option to choose
from a dozen generic addresses. There could be several people on the same street
using the same address, and they wouldn't know the difference.

I have always been a pc gamer and cant use a controller to save my life. I don't
own a console system, but am planning on visiting a friend who does. Our time we
have to play will be limited, and I don't wanna waste it trying to tweak the basic
configs. I don't have a controller, and would like to set as much up as possible before
I go.

Another thing I am unclear on. The instructions say to plug in the sixaxis controller, but
my friend tells me that all his ps3 came with was wireless controllers. So with that said I
am that much more confused. If a wired controller is need to be plugged in, why would a
wired controller have a blue tooth mac address any how??

I haven't looked to see what a saved config file looks like. I see all the controller configs are
saved in xml. If at all possible, I would just as soon have some one give me the allowable
address range, and let me choose a random address from that window. Either that or just
post a handful of valid addresses. Then if possible just go edit the saved controller file by
hand.

Unless I am off base here, why couldn't we do that ?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Short answer:
- the sixaxis/dualshock can work over usb with a male to mini usb cable
- the bluetooth pairing is performed over usb.
GIMX creator
TACPILOT

Post by TACPILOT »

So does this mean that simply having an address is not enough?

Does this also mean that in order for this to work, all steps must be
performed in the presence of the host console machine?
By this, there is no way for me to borrow a neighbors controller, configure GIMX
here, then expect it to work when I get to the location of my friend.

Does this also mean that in order for this to work at different locations,
even if every console is the same model of PS3, I must create a new profile
at each location for each host console ?

Thanks for the quick response. Just trying to get a clear picture
of what is involved here and what my limitations are.
Thanks
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Short answer: you need a sixaxis paired with the target ps3! As said in the tutorial!

More detailed answer:

A ps3 doesn't allow communications from an unknown address.

You are probably not understanding what "bluetooth pairing" means.
Two bluetooth devices are paired means they know each other.
In other terms, each device knows the address of the other, and each device allows communications coming from the other device.
Unpaired devices usually can't communicate.
The bluetooth pairing is usually performed over bluetooth, but that's not the case for a sixaxis.
How to make a sixaxis learn the address of a ps3, and a ps3 learn the address of a sixaxis?
Just plug the male to mini usb cable, and press the PS button. As I said, the pairing is performed over usb.
GIMX creator