PS2 games.

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
nightsreaper

PS2 games.

Post by nightsreaper »

So i finally got back to gimx with a computer downgrade using an older hp with windows xp . I have 2 problems. If i try to use a version newer then 1.12 i get an error and the client will not launch. the error is entry point not found the procedure entry point strerror_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll. using google to search it appears to be to due to a different file system being used in vista and up. So i'm just wondering if that's right or if i'm missing something ? The second being when i use 1.12 everything works fine as long as i'm only playing ps3 games if i try to start a ps2 game when it loads and asks me to push the ps button and i push the key i have bound to the ps button nothing happens and the games stops responding to the controllers i have hooked into the computer. The regular controller will still work. Is there something i'm missing or is it no compatible with ps2 games? this is using an older ps3 60gb backwards compatible model. Thanks for any help.

shortened version
anything newer then 1.12 gives me an error on windows xp and won't even launch gimx
gimx 1.12 works fine as long as i am not playing anything older then ps3 games
Matlo

Re: PS2 games.

Post by Matlo »

Windows xp is no more supported, sorry.
I suggest you to replace it with a Linux distribution such as Linux Mint.
For the PS2 game compatibility issue, I can't investigate as I don't have a 60GB PS3.
GIMX creator
nightsreaper

Post by nightsreaper »

Thank you for the quick reply. I have a new problem for you now though. I wanted to make sure everything would work so i went and bought a usb stick downloaded ubuntu 14.10 and am running it as a try it everything works except when i use the configure and and use auto detect configure locks out and then i have to force quit. I have plans to install ubuntu along side xp if i can get it to work through ubuntu. Thank you again for any help. to add to this fps config locks up also
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

What GIMX version are you using in Ubuntu 14.10?
GIMX creator
nightsreaper

Post by nightsreaper »

gimx version 3.5 I thought it may have been related to
I can't edit my config file? Modifications are not saved?

File permissions are probably wrong.
Start a terminal: Click on the Ubuntu Dash, type "terminal" in the search bar, and click on the terminal icon.
Then type:
ls -l ~/.gimx
You'll see something like this:
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2012-02-24 15:27 config
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2012-02-24 15:27 macros
In the above example, file ownership is wrong.
To fix it, type:
sudo chown -R owner:usergroup ~/.gimx
Replace owner and usergroup with the appropriate values, which are usually your username for both.
If you are not sure just type:
ls -ld ~
You'll see something like this:
drwxr-xr-x 94 username group 4096 2012-02-24 16:24 /home/usernamed to this

but when i got this part
sudo chown -R owner:usergroup ~/.gimx
and tried it 5 or 6 times trying to make sure i had the right user and group names and making sure everything was spaced right i kept getting invalid command so i'm going to try and tinker with that some more when i get home from work
i also noticed that when i open the launcher it ask me if i want to download a config so i tried a few to make sure everything after launcher was working but it pops up a list of configs then when i chose one and click download it tells me file not found
nightsreaper

Post by nightsreaper »

I feel like an idiot But the answer was to restart ubuntu after installing gimx and the controllers. so as far as i can tell the problems with the config are fin. i'll come back and update after i actually try using gimx on the ps3
nightsreaper

Post by nightsreaper »

so i finally got a computer with vista on it. updated my gimx updated the firmware on the teensy to 3.5 and 3.0 hooked everything back up and this is what i find. gimx works fine to navigate through the screens and to play ps3 games ps button and all seems to work as soon as i throw a ps2 disc into the ps3 everything stops responding unless i use a regular controller then the regular controller works as normal but still shows as controller 2 I know you said you could not test due to lack of hardware but i was wondering if by chance you had any thoughts on this ? or what i might try ? i keep thinking it has to be something i'm missing or put together wrong in the config? i was thinking about trying to use the hex from http://procrastineering.blogspot.fr/201 ... r-for.html but it appears thats meant to send the information in the opposite direction it needs to go ? Any thought you may have matlo or anyone else would be welcome. out of curiosity does this GIMX is a converter.you wrote this in a diffrent post
It converts all your PC inputs into a PS3 input.

The bt version emulates a sixaxis (it tries to behave as close as possible as a sixaxis), and the usb version works as a generic joystick.

Emulating a sixaxis brings a better compatibility with games as it is the official PS3 controller.
and now i'm wondering the for the un technically inclined what that says is when i use the diy usb it says to the ps3 this is just generic joystick #3478295 but if you us a bt dongle it tells it these commands are coming from the ps3 controller to your left ? in which case if i try the bt dongle style the only other alternative it could be is that when i hit the ps button to enter into ps2 games the controllers itself changes from say digital buttons to analog buttons and back again?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Please format your post and use a quote block when quoting, it really helps reading.

The post you are quoting is 3 years old!
Since then I developped another firmware called EMUPS3 that emulates a Sixaxis/Dualshock3 controller.

It seems there's something special happening when starting a PS2 game.
The only way for me to understand what's going on and to make the EMUPS3 work with PS2 games on PS3 is to have a capture of the USB transfers.
If you can afford spending money to buy a beaglebone black, I can explain you how to use it as a really cheap USB sniffer.
GIMX creator
nightsreaper

Post by nightsreaper »

Sorry about the quote's I couldn't figure out how to quote it into a reply on this topic instead of into a reply for the topic i click the quote button on. Is this one the same as the one you linked too ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product I know it'll be a couple weeks before i'll be able to get it. I'm honestly starting to get somewhat uncomfortable asking for so much help while your trying to work on newer consoles. So i need to try and do something about that before i bug you with this.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Yes it's the same board.
GIMX creator