Easy Automated Raspbian Image for using G27 as G29 with USB

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
superbalza

Re: Easy Automated Raspbian Image for using G27 as G29 with

Post by superbalza »

I see that the image is set for a G27 vs G29 emulation... if I want to change it to use a DFGT? I have to edit the GIMX.desktop and modify the following line, right?
Exec=gimx --nograb --config LogitechG27_G29.xml --port /dev/ttyUSB0

I keep the usual connections like PC?
wheel -> Rpi
DS4 -> Rpi
Rpi -> Ps4 via DIY adapter
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

superbalza wrote:...
I keep the usual connections like PC?
wheel -> Rpi
DS4 -> Rpi
Rpi -> Ps4 via DIY adapter
Yes, I have my Pi, wheel, DS4, and DIY to PS4 connected the same. Lately I've been using an old usb 1.0 hub to connect everything to the RPi and it seems to be working the same as when I used a PC and all connections had their own usb ports.
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

I didn't end up getting an RPi 2. I'm going to wait for a good excuse to get an RPi 3.

I was able to connect my RPi B to my PS4 using only one usb port on the PS4. I used a hub that has one port going to power on the RPi and the other to communicate through the DIY adapter.

The type of hub being used does make a difference. I tried a cheap usb hub that had a couple of usb ports (separate cables) as well as cables for micro usb (not being used) and 30 pin ipod connector (not being used) unsuccessfully. The RPi lit up, but all the lights stayed solid and the wheel never went into its calibration ritual. I swapped the old USB 1.0 hub that I had been using to connect the G27 and DS4 controller to the RPi to the port coming from the PS4, and used the other cable for its duties and everything worked as it did before.
superbalza

Post by superbalza »

I read about lag when using Rpi, do you noticed it?
I am using an old atom mini-pc with win10 and it works pretty well...

I have a spare Rpi2 and I want to try to use it for GIMX! I am downloading the image now...

UPDATE

I downloaded and flashed the image... but I can't understand how it works :lol:

The raspbian environment starts normally, I see that the GIMX package is "installed" (I'm a linux noob :? ), VNC works.

I can find the GIMX.desktop file but it is empty
I can find the X11VNC.desktop file but is empty too

I have to put manually the strings into the gimx.desktop to make it autostart?

The VNC window is very small (like 640*480), how I can make it larger?
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

I'm using a very old RPi, and I have not noticed any lag while playing. I also used an old netbook with an atom processor and 2gb or ram, as well as a desktop with an i3 and 16gb of ram, and I haven't noticed any difference between any of the 3 systems using GIMX through the USB adapter.

What kind of wheel are you using? I have a G27, and I literally just downloaded the image, loaded it onto an SD card and put it in my RPi and it worked. I start my PS4 and after several seconds the wheel starts to calibrate itself (being recognized by the OS), and the light on the G27 flashes. Then after a few more seconds it calibrates itself again (when the GIMX software launches) and the light on the G27 becomes solid. The I can hit the left most red button on the H shifter as the PS button. If I use the power button the console I don't need to use a controller to navigate PS4 menu's.

I did read somewhere else before I got here that if you have a dfgt, or a g25 that you need to edit the last line in the code. I haven't hooked up a monitor to my RPi since using this image so I can't comment on the contents of either of those files. How are you attempting to open the GIMX.desktop file? I'm assuming you could just open it in VI to see and edit what you need, but I haven't had to do that yet. In a terminal window if you can navigate to the file location it should just be "vi GIMX.desktop" and you should be able to see the contents.

I also can't comment on VNC either, because I haven't used it with this image.
Waveform

Post by Waveform »

cortega1 wrote:Thanks Waveform for posting that RPi image. I was able to just load the image to an sd card and run my raspberry pi headless with my g27 using the DIY usb adapter with no issues.
You're welcome.
Have you tried using it for longer than 8 minutes?

Mine disconnects and possibly GIMX crashes after about 7-8 minutes of connecting the G27 to the PS4. The DS4 is set to never turn off in power options.

I seem to have the same problem as in this thread, except with a Raspberry PI model B and the Raspbian image:

http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1334

I only discovered the issue after posting the image.

I updated to the latest version of GIMX 5.7 and the issue remains.

I have ended up buying a Logitech G29 this week, so won't be supporting the image for much longer.

I do however have an updated image to share with you guys tonight.
Matlo wrote:I think your X server is configured to emulate a mouse from joysticks.
Try uninstalling xserver-xorg-input-joystick:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg-input-joystick
Thanks for this Malto, the cursor no longer moves around.
Last edited by Waveform on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waveform

Post by Waveform »

superbalza wrote: I can find the GIMX.desktop file but it is empty
I can find the X11VNC.desktop file but is empty too
The files are definitely not empty.
Did you use the sudo command when trying to view the files in the terminal?

To do view the files via the GUI, click Menu -> Accessories -> File Manager
In the address bar type the following and hit enter:
/home/pi/.config/autostart

Right click the GIMX.desktop or X11VNC.desktop file and click Text Editor.

Now you can see the text and edit the files if you wish.

superbalza wrote: The VNC window is very small (like 640*480), how I can make it larger?
This only happens if you do not have a hdmi cable connected between the Pi and a monitor when its booting.

To fix this, edit the file /boot/config.txt
The text editor could not save it maybe because its a read only file so i used the terminal command:

sudo vi /boot/config.txt

Uncomment hdmi_force_hotplug=1
uncomment hdmi_group and hdmi_mode

I set hdmi_group=2 and hdmi_mode=16, from a post I read on the Rpi forums.
This sets it to a resolution 1024x768 @ 60hz

Of course you enter a custom setting if you wish, you can see a table of resolutions on the following page, just scroll down tothe heading - hdmi_mode:

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options

I will be uploading an updated Raspbian image in my next post with the settings already entered.
Waveform

Post by Waveform »

Here is the updated image:
GIMX 5.7 Automated Raspbian Jessie Image for G27 - 6th April 2016 (My Birthday :D )

https://mega.nz/#!TMFDRI6I!6ZENKqnSrVaA ... 0zmtJ3eW6I

If someone would like to continue the support of this image file it would be great!
cortega1

Post by cortega1 »

Waveform wrote: ....

Mine disconnects and possibly GIMX crashes after about 7-8 minutes of connecting the G27 to the PS4. The DS4 is set to never turn off in power options.

I seem to have the same problem as in this thread, except with a Raspberry PI model B and the Raspbian image:

http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1334

The first few times I tried my setup, it was only for a race or two and then I would have to go do something else (not sure about how much time). Yesterday it was connected for longer then 8 minutes, but I used it for a couple of races (~5-6 minutes), and then most of the time it sat on a completed race screen while I was off doing other things. Probably a total time of 30-45 minutes. I was able to come back and use the wheels controls to navigate the game menu, exit out of the game, and turn off the ps4. When I get a chance tonight (or probably tomorrow), I will try to race for 8+ minutes to see if I have any disconnection issues.

I have been using the original image you posted, and the game during last nights 8+ (30-45) minutes of being connected was Project Cars (if the game makes any difference). I'll try 8+ sessions with Project Cars and Driveclub to see if either games makes a difference.

I actually picked up a T300 on sale last night ($250 us). The G29 was also on sale ($300 us), but despite logitech's quality record and longer warranty, they really rubbed me the wrong way with how they handled the G27/PS4 thing. If you want to make a new wheel to sell more units and not use resources trying to support an old wheel thats been around for a while, just say so. I didn't like the way they tried talk their way around it and make excuses to why it wasn't compatible until the G29 was announced. That and the TH8a experience looks B.A.!

Also, thanks for the update on the image and Happy Birthday!! I think I will keep the current SD card as is and load the new image you provided onto another SD so I can switch back and forth between them and see if I notice any differences.
Waveform

Post by Waveform »

cortega1 wrote: I have been using the original image you posted, and the game during last nights 8+ (30-45) minutes of being connected was Project Cars (if the game makes any difference). I'll try 8+ sessions with Project Cars and Driveclub to see if either games makes a difference.
Thanks cortega, the disconnects are happening with Project Cars on my PS4, I haven't tried it in other games, but could try with Project Cars.

I'm glad to hear you had it running for longer than 8 minutes!

cortega1 wrote: I actually picked up a T300 on sale last night ($250 us). The G29 was also on sale ($300 us), but despite logitech's quality record and longer warranty, they really rubbed me the wrong way with how they handled the G27/PS4 thing. If you want to make a new wheel to sell more units and not use resources trying to support an old wheel thats been around for a while, just say so. I didn't like the way they tried talk their way around it and make excuses to why it wasn't compatible until the G29 was announced. That and the TH8a experience looks B.A.!
Congratulations on your purchase! I too got my G29 on sale, I got the wheel and Manual Shifter both for £135 from a UK Store called Currys.
The price for the wheel on its own here in Ireland is currently €430 from the same store! :o
I too lost respect for Logitech in the way they handled the whole thing, that bullshit they came out with about the "security chip" was a dick move.
I couldn't resist that bargain sale price though! :lol:
cortega1 wrote: Also, thanks for the update on the image and Happy Birthday!! I think I will keep the current SD card as is and load the new image you provided onto another SD so I can switch back and forth between them and see if I notice any differences.
Thanks a lot dude, thats a smart move using 2 SD cards just in case!