Use for a PC, beginner

Discuss everything to do with GIMX here
Megamario

Use for a PC, beginner

Post by Megamario »

Good evening

Sorry for my very limited English. I'm french.

I just discovered GIMX. I may have been wrong, but I feel like he can do what I want.

I have several console, but what I would like is on PC.

I have a steering wheel "Logitech Driving Force".I was very happy with this wheel, but it's been a while since I did not use it.
Wanting to put me back to a racing game I bought Forza Horizon 3 on PC. But impossible to make my steering wheel work properly.

After a search I found a message about GIMX. And I understood that he could emulate my steering wheel as if it was a G29 (or G27) and make believe in Windows and therefore my games, that I have a G29 with return of force (what interests me ).

If I understood correctly, what exactly would I need.
Because I saw to build the map is even with:
-CP2102
-Teensy or arduino.

I realize that you need an adapter for consoles, but is it really useful on PC.
Another question, the PC that runs the game can you emulate the wheel or have to go through a 2nd PC or Rasbery?

Thank you, and still sorry for my english.
GoDlike

Re: Use for a PC, beginner

Post by GoDlike »

Hello :)

You are right. GIMX can emulate your wheel as G27 to the Windows and if game supports G27 it will work as you would have G27 wheel.

There are two options. You can buy ready-to-use adapter from GIMX official shop on gimx.fr or build one yourself. If you buy official one you just need to flash correct firmware (EMUG27PC) and you are ready to play.

If you want to build DIY adapter I suggest buying something with atmega32u4 chip like arduino. We had a lot of problems with fake Teensy boards.

You also need this adapter if you want to emulate G27 on PC. As far as I remember you just need the adapter. Just connect both cables to the PC, run gimx and play. I will ask someone from staff more experienced in steering wheels to ensure that Im giving you the right info as I mainly maintain mouse + keyboard configurations. If im wrong I'll correct this.

Regards,
Daniel
My hardware: PS3 Slim CFW 4.80 | PS4 Pro 500 Million LE | PS5 | Xbox Series X
Steam: Godlike_RU | PSN: GoDlike_RU | XBL: GoDlike
Megamario

Post by Megamario »

Hello and thank you,

I really have to look at how it works, because I do not understand why you have to connect 2 cables to the PC, but hey I'm going to look.

I already have an arduino Mega, Uno and nano, I do not know the version by cons.

I'm not worried about tinkering with this. I just have to learn well before all that is necessary to avoid bothering you because of material not adapt.

Too bad it does not emulate the G29 is a newer.

Thank you so much
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Hello,

The way GIMX works is that it makes the atmega32u4 chip behave as a specific device (DS3, DS4, G29, G27...).

I am not aware of any way to do this in software on Windows. It very likely would involve developing a kernel driver with painful stuff like driver signature.
GIMX creator
Megamario

Post by Megamario »

Matlo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:32 am Hello,

The way GIMX works is that it makes the atmega32u4 chip behave as a specific device (DS3, DS4, G29, G27...).

I am not aware of any way to do this in software on Windows. It very likely would involve developing a kernel driver with painful stuff like driver signature.

Hello, I understand the problem.
But I thought that the steering wheel connects USB to the conversion box and then the conversion box connects to the PC USB, so for me, there was a USB cable to the pc, that of the converter.
I do not see why there are 2 usb to connect to the PC, but I will look at all this in details this weekend.

Thank you
GoDlike

Post by GoDlike »

For input devices like steering wheel to work properly you need drivers. That's why you don't connect steering wheel directly to the USB adapter. Gimx software on the PC translates specific devices into more universal signals which USB board receives and masks itself as a g27 for the PC. Without PC in this process USB board software would be very complex if not impossible to write.

Check DIY USB adapter tutorials on wiki for more information.
My hardware: PS3 Slim CFW 4.80 | PS4 Pro 500 Million LE | PS5 | Xbox Series X
Steam: Godlike_RU | PSN: GoDlike_RU | XBL: GoDlike