Hey There

Introduce yourself to the forum before attempting to post elsewhere
Bloodroke

Hey There

Post by Bloodroke »

Hello everyone! I was recently considering purchasing one of those really crappy $50 or so mouse and keyboard converters for the PS3 that I am going to purchase soon because I have to hook my PS3 up to my PC monitor; there simply is no other way I can play games properly.

Of course, for me playing properly means using a mouse and keyboard as well. I recently discovered the GIMX emulator and thought, "Wow, a free emulator? Forget those garbage converters!".

I do have some questions though. I currently run a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit setup, and I was reading on the site here and saw that I needed Linux or Ubuntu or something if I wanted to avoid soldering and all that jazz.

My first question; is it Linux or Ubuntu that is required as an operating system, and are these two, Linux and Ubuntu two separate things? I have never used Linux nor Ubuntu before, so I have no knowledge of them.

My second question; is it possible to keep Windows 7 on my PC AND put Linux or Ubuntu on it as well? I really don't want to have a second hard drive with just Linux or Ubuntu on it, or wipe my first one with Windows 7 for Linux or Ubuntu. I like Windows 7 very much and do not want to lose it. Also, would either Linux or Ubuntu produce better results with GIMX?

My third question; could I use this emulator to control, say, the level editor grabber thing in LittleBigPlanet 2 with my mouse and/or arrow keys? I want to be able to draw shapes and whatnot with the mouse, and for the straighter things, use the arrow keys.

Those are all the questions I have. Anyway, this seems very interesting and I can't wait to use the emulator to gain an unfair advantage over all my other friends who use controllers! :D
cldfusion

Re: Hey There

Post by cldfusion »

Welcome:).
Ubuntu is a version of linux. You can download the latest version, and run it from a flash drive, or install it to dual boot with windows(you get to choose which os when you turn on your computer).
Pointer moving is possible(like in the ps3 web browser), the only problem is the joystick's slow speed.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Welcome!
Bloodroke wrote:Anyway, this seems very interesting and I can't wait to use the emulator to gain an unfair advantage over all my other friends who use controllers! :D
Having to use a gamepad to play a fps is unfair :D
GIMX creator
uwontprevail

Post by uwontprevail »

Ubuntu is easy to install, and you don't need to delete your windows 7 installation.

Just download ubuntu from this website.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Installation is uber easy.

But every time you start up your computer you will have a menu pop up that asks which operating system you want to start up.

Just select ubuntu and press enter.

Then download the Gimx Software form the software section, and follow the tutorial.

If you have any problems just ask in the forums.

And welcome to our little community.