Mouse DPI once again

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
szlovak

Mouse DPI once again

Post by szlovak »

Hello

Why there is no option to use low DPI mice? Now GIMX works only on mice over 2000, on 1800 it was unacceptable for me, large unintended angle snapping effect, 2000 could be also similar by the way. If the DPI is too low for actual GIMX PC software, why don't simply multiply x and y movement by 2 , 4 or 8 that for software it would be no any difference what mouse we use? it's only few bits rotations to left done in few instructions and it shouldn't affect processing time. Any mouse like 400DPI should be that way enough. Why? 400 is almost 16 steps for 1mm, I think no one can move mouse so precisely, and for sure not 800DPI mice. Few thousand DPI mice is pure marketing. There might be only some additional effect on the way acceleration works due the fact that different algorithm with different curve should be used. All these corrections are possible in many PC games out there. I used to play Quakelive a lot, so I know what I'm talking about. So why don't use it in GIMX?
Matlo

Re: Mouse DPI once again

Post by Matlo »

Hi,

Smoothing can be used to "improve" movements when using a low DPI mouse.
But smoothing is loosing precision.

What you are missing there is that when using an acceleration value in the typical 0.30~0.60 range, the translation is not a straight line.
Look at the following charts and you'll understand why using a high DPI mouse with GIMX improves movement linearity, especially for low values.

GIMX creator