Proof of Concept - Controlling GCN games with Wii U gamepad

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
darkphoenix16

Proof of Concept - Controlling GCN games with Wii U gamepad

Post by darkphoenix16 »

Hi there.

I was hoping I could get some clarification on whether or not my plan is possible/reasonable. I'm a software developer but haven't done anything with device programming before.

I have a Wii U and I would like to play GameCube games on it using Nintendont. Nintendont supports HID gamepads through USB and also wireless gamepads through bluetooth (although it only mentions those made specifically for the Wii U). Nintendont will display the game on the gamepad screen ... but it can't do anything with the pads buttons since the vWii doesn't support them.

What I would like to do is capture the Wii U gamepad buttons on the PC, and then forward those through USB or bluetooth to the Wii U through Nintendont. The result should allow me to play the GameCube games on the gamepad without needing a second controller to play them. I suppose this could also extend to Wii games as well but that isn't my primary goal.

So, to me this seems reasonable. The only thing I need to look into is whether or not the PC can capture the gamepads input while its also connected to the Wii U. Would really appreciate the developers chiming in on their thoughts and perhaps where I can look in the code to get started.

Thanks!

EDIT: Looking into info on the gamepad via libdrc makes me thing this is unlikely as I won't be able to pair with the Wii U and PC at the same time ... makes sense I guess. Got carried away with every other detail of this concept.