Using Arduino....and am a newbie

General Chat, Feel Free To talk about anything here.
spirex56

Using Arduino....and am a newbie

Post by spirex56 »

Hey , so I have an Arduino uno r3 from before and I didn't feel like buying a new chip just for a keyboard/mouse conversion etc. (I might think of buying it , just let's prove it's impossible for "me" to use the Arduino first)

Am trying to get as much information as possible before starting to mess with the board , first of all I should mention am running Ubuntu 16.04 gnome 3 as an OS. (I can dual boot to windows , I just prefer Linux for now)

For now what I know is that I should use atmel's flip tool to remove atmega328 chip and then flash at90usb162 frimware.

After that it would act like a teensy? Am really lost here tbh. Also the Arduino board already comes with a cable to connect to a computer so I don't need a serial to USB , right? So all I need is the female to male USB connecters vise versa?

Is there anything else I should know before starting this operation (am a little extra , I know ) also after I remove and flash the stuff I mentioned up there , I can revert this, right ?!

Also am not sure if this is the right section , it is a mix of support and discussion so idk.
Matlo

Re: Using Arduino....and am a newbie

Post by Matlo »

Hi,
I suggest you to buy something based on the atmega32u4 chip.
The firmwares for at90usb162 are known to have issues.
GIMX creator
spirex56

Post by spirex56 »

Hey , sorry for the late reply.
I am getting a cheap Leonardo so ATmega32U4
Which frimware should I load ? Also i've read this "Some devices like the arduino have an on-board usb to serial chip " will I need a USB to serial convertor ? I hope not.
spirex56

Post by spirex56 »

@Matlo
If I need a UART converter , I can only get something like this ( https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/usb-to-rs232 ... escription )

I see that on the wiki we can use those but only on Linux BUT the Arduino loader tool and the .ini files wouldn't work on Linux , would they ?
I can figure a work around for the loader , not sure about the .ini tho

Thank.
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

I just released GIMX 6.8. It should now be easier to load a firmware on any OS!
GIMX creator