Config not auto-detecting all buttons on bluetooth wheel

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
Lemonade727

Config not auto-detecting all buttons on bluetooth wheel

Post by Lemonade727 »

When going through the Gimx-launcher and creating a new config for a specific racing wheel (SimRacingCoach wireless panel), not all of the button presses are being captured through the auto detect functionality. 4 buttons and the shifters are not being detected, while the remaining 4 buttons and both of the rotaries (encoder function as well as push button) are being captured within the config editor. This wheel operates via Bluetooth.

In Windows and in all of the PC sims I've tested with (iRacing, ACC, AC, AMS2), all of the buttons are functioning properly. The wheel is connected through a TP-Link UB400 dongle.

Windows is showing it as an installed game controller named RNi Joystick, but when the specific buttons are detected within the GIMX config editor they are being recognized as "joystick GameStop Gamepad".

Since this is all performed outside of GIMX actually running, I don't have a log to include. GIMX detects my VRS wheelbase, VRS pedals, and a separate USB steering wheel without issue. It is only this particular wheel that is giving me issues with the buttons being detected and again it is only within the GIMX editor where I am seeing the issue.

I also tried to use JoyToKey to capture the button presses and translate them to specific keyboard keys, and all of them register and output the assigned key just fine when testing in Notepad, however GIMX wouldn't recognize the PS button press when using this method.

Any help would be appreciated.
kaiba_seto2004

Re: Config not auto-detecting all buttons on bluetooth wheel

Post by kaiba_seto2004 »

Sometimes bluetooth devices are not detected. Please try again with Input = Window events (in gimx-launcher)
PS4 enthusiast.
Lemonade727

Post by Lemonade727 »

I tried it again with Input = Windows events in the launcher, and then tried checking Window events in the config editor under Advanced -> Window events, but unfortunately it still doesn't detect certain buttons when trying to map them.
Lemonade727

Post by Lemonade727 »

I got in touch with the maker of the wheel, and he mentioned that the wheel is using an ATmega microcontroller for the inputs and then the RN42 bluetooth controller to send that information to the PC.

Just wanted to add that in for additional info.
Lemonade727

Post by Lemonade727 »

kaiba_seto2004 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:27 am Sometimes bluetooth devices are not detected. Please try again with Input = Window events (in gimx-launcher)
So I tried revisiting this again today to see if I would have any better luck, and I was finally able to get it working.

When I first tried (and still) using just the Window events as you mentioned, I couldn't get it to detect the button inputs. But if I combined JoyToKey and the Windows events, I was able to get GIMX to register the keyboard presses.

Finally going to be able to enjoy Gran Turismo with the wheel I'm wanting to!
kaiba_seto2004

Post by kaiba_seto2004 »

Glad to hear that :)
PS4 enthusiast.