L2/R2 triggers not working

Need help? Ask here and someone will help
john6670

L2/R2 triggers not working

Post by john6670 »

Let me just say a few things

- I am using Windows 8, 64 bit.

-I'm using splashtop THD, a streamer which allows me to stream from my desktop, onto the Nvidia Shield, an Android Device

- I have a Nvidia Shield, which has all the buttons/triggers a PS3/360 controller would

- I also have a PS3 controller. It's just that, as you all know it's recognized as a 360 controller for windows

Anyway, when in splashtop and when I enable the "gamepad" mode, the shield acts like a full 360 controller for my Computer. I can play any game I want with all the controls automatically set, and configure my controls in emulators without worrying about any particular buttons.

* I've been trying to configure my Nvida Shield so that I can play Ps3 games, using the Nvida shield's controls. When I am in GIMX config, I can put in any button I want. When I configure my controls, it says "xbox360 controller for windows"With the CronusMax, i've been able to navigate and play PS3 games with the Nvidia Shield.

*The issue? It cannot differentiate between the L2/R2 triggers.
when I did my own configuration with GIMX, in the axis section it can hardly seem to differentiate L2/R2.

If I press L2 and autodetect, it detects it as #2.

But If I go to R2 and autodetect, and then try adding it
http://i.imgur.com/wpCtNnZ.png?1

it displays a message. but i try adding it anyway and
http://i.imgur.com/gm827Kx.png?1

they both say "two"

I even went to GIMX serial with the profile I created but
http://i.imgur.com/l7Fk3xO.png?1

To make it short? GIMX isn't recognizing the L2/R2 buttons as totally different. They seem to register both triggers as the same. Please help.

Edit: I've also tried this with the PS3 controller in itself. Without the use of the Shield and Splashtop, but I come across the same issue. Hooked up PS3 controller to Computer via USB. GIMX Config cannot detect the R2 button as a separate button from L2. If I press "L2" in auto detect, "2" will show up. If I press "R2" in autodetect, "2" will again show up. if i add R2 despite that, it displays that message in the picture provided.
Matlo

Re: L2/R2 triggers not working

Post by Matlo »

This is a known issue: https://github.com/matlo/GIMX/issues/221

GIMX is not faulty, it really gets L2 and R2 as a single axis from the OS.
Instead of improving the existing generic joystick interface Microsoft made another one that only works with their own non-standard gamepad...

As a work around you can use -0.008 as sensitivity for L2 (pressing both triggers at the same time will not work).
GIMX creator
john6670

Post by john6670 »

I see, thank you. . One more question, it's something i've been curious about ,but.

Is it possible to map two buttons for a single control?

To be more specific,say I had a controller or w/e that did not have a proper select button. In GIMX it has options for a "select button", as well as other buttons obviously .

Would it be possible to say, use the square and triangle button at the same time, for the select button? As in pressing two buttons at the same time, to trigger the use of another button? So for my example, it would be to say, press triangle and square at the same time for the use of the select button.

Something that would make up for the lack of some buttons on a controller.

Edit: Or even something where holding a certain button for 5-6 seconds can trigger another button?

Example: Holding the start button, or another button on the controller for a few seconds , to trigger the PS or xbox360 home button.
john6670

Post by john6670 »

Also, if any of the method's i listed are possible, are there any good guides for setting any of these up, or a list of steps?
Matlo

Post by Matlo »

Make a second profile with different button mappings, and define a button as the profile trigger.
GIMX creator
john6670

Post by john6670 »

Got it to work! Thank you!